Wednesday, December 12, 2012

From The Pen Of A Survivor.....

DLE (Discoid Lupus Erythematosus)
I remember the day (several years ago) when I was diagnosed with a disease that affects the skin
Although less serious than SLE it results in the sun not being your friend
For years I’ve tried to ignore it and not claim it as my own
It became evident as the scars became apparent and as time went on the lesions started to grow
I mean how can I ditch the sun which puts a smile upon my face
As it shines on me now those once happy beams have now become deadly rays
The doctor says I need medication to help combat the symptoms
But the affects of the drug are far worse than the disease itself and to make myself sicker to become better to me seems dumb
The days when I am in pain I try to smile a little bit more
Although I move a little slower I keep what I am feeling behind my closed door
I hide the scars, pull my hair back and pray that the symptoms subside
And pack on the sunscreen before I go outside
Grab my big brimmed hat and cover up as if it’s raining so my skin can hide
And pray to God daily for those who are sharing the ride.

By Chenelle Marshall
www.lifelinkpublishing.com

No comments: